Saturday, August 22, 2009

Whoopie Pie Mission

While we were visiting Wendy and Troy, whose house is at 8800 feet, I was on a quest to bake whoopie pies at that high altitude. Wendy had said everytime she made them, they would taste delicious, but they were flat and crumbly.

I ended up trying them three times -- the first was that I only changed the recipe to use crisco instead of butter. I used Hershey chocolate powder, lessened the baking powder and soda. They came out pretty good, rose nicely, but were not chocolaty enough. I also felt they were a little dry.

The second time, I again used crisco, used 2 eggs instead of one, changed the chocolate to baking chocolate. The results are at right. These tasted pretty good, but the chocolate taste wasn't quite right.





For the third trial, I used Nestles pre-melted chocolate, crisco, 2 eggs, a little less sugar, baking powder and soda. These came out the best of all.
Mission Accomplished!

No comments: